Friday, June 6, 2008

A garden......


I really wanted to have a little garden this year. So, I built a raised bed, small, of course, for my little garden. We planted four strawberry plants, and some watermelon seeds, corn, and green onion. Not a lot of variety, but when I have to do the whole thing on my own........that is about all you get!
So, the garden was beautiful. Then, that first night, our lovely dog, Bitsy, dug up the whole thing. She ate two of the strawberry plants and just messed the whole thing up. I was so mad at her! So now, we have an ugly garden with only two strawberry plants, one of which I don't think will produce--it was a little damaged!--and an assortment of corn, watermelon, and green onion scattered throughout the garden. I used the ever useful wooden bunks for a fence of sort around it so the dog can't get in to dig again. But, here is our very first strawberry. The kids quartered it and said it was very good. We had another little one yesterday. The corn is growing taller each day, but I have my doubts that it will amount to very much. Next year, the garden will be fenced in and started a lot earlier, like when it should have been started......!

1 comment:

David said...

We've been there! When we planted strawberries in Illinois, about half of the plants died on their own. The few cute little strawberries that did grow were very tasty. From all my reading I think that the second and third and following years of a strawberry patch are a ton more productive than the first. good luck with the garden!